Amtrak is a US passenger railroad company, created in 1971, that operates nationwide service over 23,000 miles of track and serves 450 destinations in 46 states plus the District of Columbia. If you’re looking for an effortless way to travel, then Amtrak is the perfect solution.
However, prices can start adding up quickly if you don’t know the best ways to save money on your next trip. So, if you’re looking for ways to save money on your next train trip, this is the perfect post for you. Below, we’ll discuss 12 clever ways that can help you save a ton of cash while traveling.
1. Download the Amtrak Mobile App
This is the most popular way to save money on your next Amtrak trip. By downloading the Amtrak Mobile App, you can access deals and discounts that are perfect for saving you cash while traveling across the country.
Plus, you’ll get push notifications if there are any special deals or discounts so you can score some low-priced tickets.
2. Sign Up For Amtrak Emails
By signing up for Amtrak emails, you’ll be the first to know about all of Amtrak’s special deals and discounts.
Plus, as a member of their email club, you’ll get exclusive access to members-only offers, such as last-minute rate drops and advanced planner rates that are only available to those who sign up through the email list.
3. Check The Deals Page
Amtrak has a section of their website labeled as “Deals.” When you click into this tab, you’ll be able to find all of the current deals and discounts available for Amtrak travelers.
There are tons of different offers that you’ll be able to take advantage of, such as last-minute rates or reservation-less travel, where you can show up at a station with your ID and purchase a ticket on the spot! Right now, Amtrak is offering 20% off bookings and no change fees through their deals page.
4. Join Amtrak Guest Rewards
Did you know that you could be receiving points that could go towards future travel every time you ride with Amtrak? That’s right, Amtrak Guest Rewards is a program that rewards points based on miles traveled and how much you book. As your points grow, you can use them to receive discounts on your future orders or special pricing.
5. Purchase A Multi-Ride Ticket
One of the easiest ways to save is to book the number of rides you need in advance to save up to 50% off regular ticket prices. Amtrak offers multi-ride ticket options to fit your needs, including:
- Monthly Passes: This allows passengers to take up to two trips per day between the stations they choose. This plan is perfect if you need to commute to work or travel to a specific destination repeatedly.
- 10-Ride Pass: This pass allows riders to take ten rides within a specific time period depending on the stations you select. This could be valid for either 45, 60, or 180 day period.
- 6-Ride Pass: This pass allows students to take passes between specific stations in Massachusetts and California. The 6-ride pass is specifically for college students who need to commute to their campus. These passes are valid for 365 days from the date of purchase.
6. Book A Saver Fare
By booking your next trip at least 14 days in advance, you’ll be able to have access to low “Saver Fares” across many routes in the country. These fares include four bags, Wifi, legroom, and a steep discount. Current routes that have a discount include the Northwest Regional and Cross Country deals.
7. Buy Long-Haul Tickets For Cheaper Price
If you’re taking short Amtrak trips, you probably will not find the cheapest tickets. Instead, you’ll want to buy long-haul or regional tickets to find the best rates for your Amtrak train ride.
This is because Amtrak charges tickets based on the length of your trip. So the longer you’re riding, the cheaper it will be for you to take Amtrak trains across the country.
8. Purchase Tickets With A Group For More Savings
Amtrak offers a group ticket discount code to groups of six passengers. By using the code V291 on the Amtrak website while booking, you’ll be able to save 45% off the regular price for six tickets.
However, there are some rules to be aware of. First, there are a limited amount of seats that can be booked (six), and you’ll need to book this deal at least three days in advance. Make sure to book all six tickets at one time to receive this special deal.
9. Save 15% Off Your Ticket If You’re A Student
Students can save 15% off their next Amtrak ticket with the code STUDENTSAVER. This deal is valid for college students and high schoolers who are at least 17 years old and need to travel on a weekday across North America, including Canada.
You will need to have a valid student identification when you check-in for your trip and book your trip at least a day in advance.
10. Apply For The Amtrak Credit Card For Additional Savings
As one of the leading providers for travel in North America, Amtrak offers an exclusive credit card to use while traveling. This is great if you’re trying to earn points towards future train rides or want special deals on your next trip. There are two current cards that Amtrak offers including:
- Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum Mastercard: This card has no annual fee and allows you to earn up to 12,000 bonus points (or $300 Amtrak travel) by making a qualifying amount of purchases. Plus, you’ll earn 2x points on all Amtrak travel, as well as a 10% rebate for purchases on board.
- Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard: This card carries a $79 annual fee and allows you to earn up to 20,000 bonus points (or $500 in Amtrak travel) by making a qualifying amount of purchases. Plus, you’ll earn 3x points on all Amtrak travel, 2x points on all other travel, and 1x points on all other purchases. Plus, you’ll be able to earn a 20% rebate for all onboard purchases.
Besides all of these incredible savings, you’ll be able to receive a complimentary one-glass upgrade and companion coupon.
11. Active Military and Seniors receive 10% off
If you’re over the age of 60 years old, or if you’re active or retired military, you’ll be able to receive 10% off your train ticket fare. In order to receive this discount, you’ll need to indicate that you fall under one of these categories when you book your ticket, as well as have identification to prove your status before you board.
12. Check Koopy.com For Coupons
If you’re looking for even more discounts, then checking the Koopy.com Amtrak coupons and deals page might be a good idea. Coupons are collected and put onto one website, so you don’t have to search for the best deal manually.
Make sure to check Koopy for available Amtrak coupons that can help save you extra money on your ticket.
Frequently Asked Questions About Amtrak
What Is Amtrak?
Amtrak is a national passenger rail service that covers most major regions in North America. They offer train rides from coast to coast and beyond, covering more than 500 destinations.
There are many reasons to choose Amtrak over other means of transportation when traveling across the country or even internationally. For starters, you’ll save a ton of money! With prices starting at just $29, Amtrak is much more affordable than the cost to fly or drive. Plus, you’ll save time and be able to explore new destinations along your journey.
Is Amtrak Cheaper Than Flying?
Amtrak is much cheaper than flying, but you need to consider the time it takes for your trip. If you’re looking strictly at price, then Amtrak will be a less expensive option.
What’s The Best Way To Save On Amtrak?
The best way to save on an Amtrak ticket is by booking ahead of time and purchasing tickets in advance. Amtrak also has a great deal in which you’re able to save 15% off your ticket if you are a college or high school student. Plus, active military personnel who are retired or active, as well as seniors over the age of 60, can also receive discounts on Amtrak tickets.
Is It Cheaper To Buy Amtrak Tickets Online Or At The Station?
It is usually much cheaper to buy your Amtrak ticket online. However, this depends on the station you’re looking to depart from and where you’re going. Some stations have a lower price for tickets purchased in-person versus those who choose to purchase their tickets ahead of time through Amtrak’s website or app.
Find The Best Ways To Save With Amtrak
No matter where you’re looking to travel, Amtrak offers a convenient, fast way to get you there.
However, prices can quickly add up if you’re not on the lookout for the best deals.
By using the tips we’ve listed above, you’ll be sure to save a ton of money on your next order with Amtrak. What was your favorite tip? Comment below!