If you tend to work out late at night after most gyms are closed, it’s easy to get frustrated. Most gyms, especially today, have limited hours leaving people like you without a gym to join.
This is why many people love Anytime Fitness. As the name suggests, they are open ‘anytime’ or 24/7. Add to that the 4,000+ locations throughout the country and it’s easy to see why Anytime Fitness comes up in conversation when someone is looking for a gym.
But is Anytime Fitness worth the cost? What do you get for your money? I explore the good and bad sides of Anytime Fitness below.
What is Anytime Fitness?
Anytime Fitness is a convenient gym you’ll find in most major cities. They offer a decent selection of machines, weights, and group classes, so there’s something for everyone. Their prices are middle-of-the-road when compared to other gyms. They aren’t a budget gym like Planet Fitness, but they also aren’t a luxury gym like Lifetime.
While the prices are average, Anytime Fitness caters to those who like or need to work out any time of day or night. Maybe you work late and aren’t a morning person, so early morning or evening workouts don’t fit your schedule.
What do they Offer?
Anytime Fitness has the typical machines and weights you’ll find at most gyms, but in specific, here’s what most members offer:
- 24-hour access with top-notch security
- Access to clubs worldwide
- Locker room with showers
- Cardio equipment
- Weight machines
- Free weights
- Functional training equipment (kettlebells, medicine balls, TRX, etc.)
- Group classes
- Option to add small group training, personal training, or virtual coaching
Anytime Fitness Features
Knowing what Anytime Fitness offers helps you make the right decision. Their features are comparable to other gyms around, but they have some unique options too.
Most gyms have a healthy inventory of cardio equipment – it’s what brings most people into the gym. While every location is different (always check your local club), Anytime Fitness generally has a nice selection of treadmills, elliptical machines, rowing machines, and stationary bikes.
If you plan on working out late at night, you may not have to worry about the number of cardio machines, but if you work out at a prime time (early morning or right after work), look at the selection since cardio machines usually fill up the fastest.
The weight area at Anytime Fitness is impressive. Many ‘average’ gyms have limited weight lifting machines, focusing mostly on cardio, but Anytime Fitness has a nice selection of both.
The selection varies by location, but you may find:
- Squat racks
- Weight lifting machines
Something we’re seeing pop up more often in gyms around the country are functional training sections. If you like body resistance training or working out with equipment other than weights, you may like what Anytime Fitness offers:
- Battle ropes
- Medicine balls
- Jump ropes
- Resistance bands
Not all locations offer classes, so check with your local gym before signing up if classes are important to you. Some locations include the classes in your membership and others charge extra.
Anytime Fitness also offers the following services:
- Free Get Started Plan when you join
- Personal Training classes (extra charge)
- Team workouts
- Wellness programs
- Cardio TVs
Anytime Fitness DOES NOT offer pools, spas or childcare services, so keep that in mind if those are services you need or want.
Anytime Fitness Membership Overview – What’s the Cost?
Membership cost is a top priority for most people, especially since it’s a monthly fee at most gyms.
Anytime Fitness fees vary by location, but on average, members pay $36.50 per month. Each club differs in the other fees they charge. Always ask about:
- Activation fees
- Annual membership fees
- Class or extra service fees
Some clubs have 6-month agreements and others have 12-month and 18-month agreements. Most clubs don’t offer a month-to-month agreement, so you’re making a large commitment by signing an agreement.
Before you do, make sure you understand the early cancellation penalty if you no longer want the membership.
How does Anytime Fitness Compare?
Anytime Fitness has the convenience of being 24 hours, but it’s not the only local ‘budget’ gym in the area. Other gyms are comparable, but may not offer the 24-hour service.
Anytime Fitness vs Planet Fitness
If there are two gyms you’ll find most often in any area, it’s Anytime Fitness and Planet Fitness. They are both average-priced, although Planet Fitness advertises itself as a budget gym. Planet Fitness has ‘other costs’ that should figure into your total costs to belong.
For example, their basic ‘Classic’ membership is $10/month, but you’ll pay $208 for the year after factoring in all the fees. That’s still half of the cost of the average Anytime Fitness prices, but you get limited hours. Here’s how they compare:
- Like Anytime Fitness, you’ll sign a contract, typically for 12 months at Planet Fitness. They charge an early cancellation fee if you cancel too soon. If you don’t cancel before your membership automatically renews, you’re on the hook for another year, so be careful.
- Planet Fitness has two membership options – a single-club membership or multi-club membership which allows you to visit any facility in the country.
- Planet Fitness charges a $39 initiation fee plus an annual fee which varies by location.
- Planet Fitness focuses mostly on cardio and their 30-minute resistance training circuit. They have weight machines, but no free weights or functional training areas.
Anytime Fitness vs Crunch Fitness
Crunch Fitness memberships cost less than Anytime Fitness, and they have many similar features. Memberships start at $9.95 and go up to $29.95 a month if you want access to their unique Advanced HIIT Classes, which most other gyms don’t offer.
Here’s how Crunch Fitness compares to Anytime Fitness:
- Crunch Fitness offers both month-to-month options and annual contracts. If you aren’t sure if you’ll stick with it, you can choose the month-to-month, but it usually incurs an enrollment fee of $49 too.
- Crunch Fitness offers a large selection of equipment from cardio machines to weight machines and free weights.
- If you prefer group classes, Crunch Fitness has a large variety, but you must upgrade to the Peak Membership, which costs around $21.99 a month.
- Crunch Fitness has a unique HIIT Zone that is a body resistance workout circuit using functional training equipment. Each circuit is 45 minutes and has up to 15 participants at a time. To get access, though, you must buy the highest membership at $29.95 a month.
What Others Think of Anytime Fitness?
Many people like Anytime Fitness for its convenience, but other features they love include:
- Local ownership – Sometimes having that community feeling makes all the difference in a gym membership. Rather than corporate ownership, each location has its own rules, fees, and even offerings.
- Cleanliness – Most locations have top reviews for its cleanliness, which is hard to come by during the pandemic. Most people are much pickier about the sanitation levels at their gym, but Anytime seems to come out on top.
Like any gym, there are things members don’t like. One common complaint I saw a lot was that it’s hard to cancel. This seems to be a common issue for most gyms, though, so it’s not unique, but it’s something to be aware of before you join.
Other people complain about the ‘hidden’ fees. My suggestion is to always ask upfront before you join what other fees you’ll pay. Ask for an ‘out-the-door price’ so you can figure out the total annual cost and compare it to other options.
Anytime Fitness Membership FAQ
Can you freeze your Anytime Fitness membership?
Yes, you can freeze your membership at Anytime Fitness, but the rules and costs vary by location. Talk to your location’s manager to find out the process and cost.
Does Anytime Fitness have a month-to-month membership?
Right now, most locations have only a 6-month, 12-month, or 18-month membership. Depending on your area, you may be able to get a 7-day free trial to make sure it’s right for you but not all locations are offering it due to COVID.
What age can you work out at Anytime Fitness?
Every location differs based on local laws and regulations, but on average you must be at least 13-years old with parent permission to join.
Can you bring a guest?
Most locations allow members to bring a guest during staffed hours. Contact your local club to find out their rules, but most allow free access to a guest on your visits.
Can you go to any Anytime Fitness with your key fob?
Your key fob gives you access to Anytime Fitness 24/7, and yes you can use your key fob at most locations. There is a 30-day waiting period once you join though.
Is Anytime Fitness Worth It?
For me, Anytime Fitness is worth it only if you need that late-night access. Since each location varies so much, you don’t know what you’re getting as far as classes, amenities, and even cost.
But if you work odd hours or just like to work out late at night by yourself, it can be a great option. It’s not expensive compared to luxury gyms like LA Fitness or Lifetime, but it also has fewer amenities, such as no pool, child care, or basketball court.