If you love traveling in your RV, you’ve likely come across advertisements or emails for a Good Sam Club membership. To date, Good Sam has over 2 million members who enjoy camping discounts, fuel savings, trip planning assistance, and more.
Is a Good Sam Club membership worth the cost? Check out our review to learn more.
What is a Good Sam Club Membership?
A Good Sam Club membership is like joining a large RV club. With the membership, you’ll receive discounts on travel, at retail stores, and on fuel and other camping essentials. You can also add other services (for an extra cost), such as roadside assistance, extended service plans, and travel assistance plans should something catastrophic happen while you’re traveling.
A Good Sam Club Membership has annual memberships, which you can choose in 1, 2, or 3-year increments to lock in the membership rate.
How Does it Work?
When you sign up for a Good Sam Club Membership, you get a variety of benefits including:
- Camping discounts – If you camp at one of the 2,000+ Good Sam campgrounds, you’ll receive a discount on your reservation. At the least, you’ll receive a 10% discount at any partner campgrounds. While it may not sound like much, if you travel for extended periods, the savings can add up.
- Retail discounts – Camping may seem ‘cheaper’ than traveling in a hotel, but when you add up the cost of necessary supplies, it adds up quickly. A Good Sam Club Membership includes discounts to some of the most popular camping stores including Camping World, Gander, and Overtons. You’ll earn things like free shipping, propane discounts, installation and service discounts, member-only specials and extended return and warranty periods.
- Fuel savings – Fuel is one of the most expensive aspects of traveling by RV. With a Good Sam Club Membership, you can save $5 on every gallon of gas and 8 cents per gallon of diesel at participating Pilot Flying J locations.
- Good Sam Trip Planner – Whether you’re a new traveler or experienced, sometimes having someone help you plan your trip is best. The Good Sam Trip Planner helps you get details about your path, what points of interest are along the way, and even which areas to avoid.
How to Sign up for a Good Sam Club Membership?
It’s easy to sign up for a Good Sam Club Membership. Start by clicking here and choosing your plan (more about the cost below).
Once you choose your plan, click ‘Join Now’ and complete the information required including:
- First and last name of you and your spouse
- Phone number
- RV type
- Email address
- Create a password
After completing the information, you’ll navigate to the payment page to activate your membership.
What’s the Cost?
The Good Sam Club Membership is available in 3 membership tiers. You get the same benefits with each plan, it’s the time you have coverage that differs:
- Join for 1 year – $29
- Join for 2 years – $50
- Join for 3 years – $79
You get the same benefits in each membership. If you choose a longer membership, you save money versus renewing your membership each year.
Other Good Sam Club Membership Options
In addition to the plans above, you can add a variety of a la carte services to your membership including:
RV Roadside Assistance
Your RV will inevitably need servicing while you’re on the road, especially if you travel far and often. Good Sam offers three RV roadside assistance plans and three auto roadside assistance plans.
- Standard RV + Auto coverage – $64.95 provides coverage for owned cars and one RV/trailer and includes:
- Tire replacement for your RV
- Battery jumpstarts
- Help with lockouts
- Fuel delivery (up to 5 gallons)
- Help with medical emergencies
- Platinum RV + Auto coverage – $79.95 provides coverage for owned, leased, and borrowed vehicles, multiple RVs, and trailers and includes:
- Everything in the Standard package
- Discounts on concierge service and hotel reservations
- Assistance buying and selling cars
- 10% discount on AAMCO repairs
- Platinum Complete RV + Auto coverage – $119.95 provides all coverage above plus tire and wheel road hazard coverage and emergency medical assistance and the following:
- Everything in the Platinum package
- RV return if you can’t return it due to a medical emergency
- Emergency evaluations
- Transport to a medical facility
- Financial assistance for medical services
Extended Service Plan
Give yourself peace of mind knowing you have Good Sam on your side. If your car or RV breaks down, you can choose your repair location and deductible with the Good Sam pay-as-you-go extended service plans. Plans start at just $44 and up.
Emergencies happen when we least expect them. If you’re traveling, it can be even scarier because you don’t know where to turn. With the Good Sam Travel Assistance Plan, you get assistance with your emergency including towing your RV back home, emergency medical transportation, emergency medical monitoring, and even transportation home.
Plans start at $45 for individuals and go up to $90 to cover family and pets.
Pros and Cons
- Receive discounts on products and services crucial to successful RV trips
- Have protection while on the road both for your RV and your family members should an emergency occur
- Have another set of eyes on your travel plans to warn you of any issues
- Save money on campground fees which can add up
- Ultimate protection with all Good Sam services could cost a lot of money
- There is a lot of fine print that most people don’t realize until they need the service
Good Sam Club Membership FAQs
What is the Good Sam RV Club?
Just like you join a warehouse club to shop for your home, the Good Sam RV Club is like a club for RV owners. You get special protections, services, and discounts that most RV owners need/want especially if they travel by RV often.
How do you get a Good Sam discount at a campground?
All you have to do is show your Good Sam membership card to get your discount if you’re paying in person. If you’re reserving the campground online, enter your Good Sam membership number in the appropriate spot to ensure you get your discount.
Is a Good Sam membership worth it?
If you travel often (or even a few times a year), you’ll usually save much more than the cost of the membership if you join the basic Good Sam Club. If you add on other features, like roadside assistance or travel assistance, it’s a toss-up, but using either service once can more than makeup for the cost.
Does KOA accept Good Sam discounts?
Unfortunately, KOA campgrounds do not accept Good Sam discounts, but KOA campgrounds usually offer other benefits and opportunities to save.
Does Good Sam cover rental cars?
The Good Sam Extended Service plan covers the cost of a rental car should you need one while traveling. The Platinum RV + Auto Coverage plan also covers any rental cars you take on your travels.
Does Good Sam offer hotel discounts?
If you sign up for the Good Sam Platinum Roadside Assistance plan, you may save up to 20% off Wyndham Hotel Group hotels, which is on over 7,000 hotels nationwide. Each hotel offers different savings options.
Good Sam Membership – Do you Need One?
If you frequently travel via RV, a Good Sam Membership can be a great way to save money. Even the basic membership will get you discounts on the items and services you’ll use most often and can be worth its weight in gold.
If you travel often and worry about the cost of repairs, medical emergencies, or having the support you and your family need while in unfamiliar territory, a Good Sam Membership can provide you with the peace of mind you need.