It wasn’t that long ago that someone told me they tried a drive-up service at their nearest grocery store. I was baffled – you can actually drive up and have them shop for you and load your car?! And now, it’s a commonly accepted service that makes our lives easier!
It’s not just for grocery stores anymore – stores like Target have stepped up their game and now offer Target Drive Up! If you find yourself loving Target as much as I do, then you’ll definitely want to check this out today!
Getting the things you love from Target with the service you’ve come to know and expect? Yes, please. Let’s look at why you need to try Target Drive Up today!
What is Target Drive Up?
Target Drive Up is one of those things in your life you didn’t know you needed! You know how it goes when you have your list, you get to Target, and then your kid has a meltdown for no reason. Do you stay the course with a screaming kid?
If you use Target Drive Up, you park in a designated spot at the Target of your choice and they bring your order out to your car for free. No going in, no wrestling with whatever you’ve got going on. It’s that simple!
Why You Need Target Drive Up in Your Life
As with most drive up services, they really can add more value to your day!
- It Saves you Time – From the time you pull up and alert Target of your location, they bring it out, load your car, and you’re on your way! You can add 30 minutes (or more) to your day! No waiting in long lines!
- It Saves you Money – It’s pretty much proven at this point that wandering the store and grabbing what intrigues you not only fills your cart but empties your wallet. When you buy online, you can escape the advertising, and buy only what you need.
- It Limits Person to Person Contact – Shopping in public now carries a bit more worry than it used to. If you’re worried about being exposed to hundreds of people, staying in your car gets rid of that risk. No contact, no worry!
I don’t know about you, but saving time, and money, and limiting my exposure to others seems like a win-win-win!
How Does Target Drive Up Work?
There are a few steps to take, but using Target Drive Up is still pretty easy and doesn’t take a lot of time.
How to Order for Target Drive Up
Step 1: Using your Target mobile app, shop for items you need from your local Target.
Step 2: When selecting an item, make sure to select Drive Up, and then Add to Cart.
Step 3: After you’ve selected everything you want for this trip, select the Shopping Cart Icon at the bottom, pay, and place your order.
Now that you’ve ordered, you will receive a notification that your order has been placed. You’ll need to wait for a notification from Target that your order is ready, which should only be a few hours. Woohoo! Next comes the fun part.
How to Pick up from Target Drive Up
Step 1: Open your Target app and select the red I’m on my way button.
Step 2: Select your vehicle type and color and hit the red Done button. You can also skip this step.
Step 3: After you park safely at the Drive Up sign in the parking lot, select the red I’m here button in the app.
Step 4: The app will present a barcode which you’ll show to the associate delivering your order.
Once they load your car, off you go! It really is quite simple, and such a time saver!
Pros and Cons of Target Drive Up
As with any drive up service, there are pros and cons of Target Drive Up. Let’s take a look at that now:
Pros of Target Drive Up
- It’s FREE – No minimum order or Service fees
- Pretty easy to use, and seamless if you’re familiar with shopping apps
- No need to get out of your car!
- Same Day Pickup – your order is ready in a few hours
- Limits what you spend and reduces impulse buying
Cons of Target Drive Up
- Not everything is eligible for Target Drive Up, and it may vary from store to store
- Plastic bags instead of insulated bags, which may be a bad choice for your climate and cold groceries
- Depending on staffing issues, you may have to wait longer than usual
- Vague window of time – you have to wait for an alert letting you know it’s ready
- You may not find out something is out of stock until after you order
While it’s not perfect, the service is still a valuable time saver and has a big fan base following.
Limitations of Target Drive Up
There are a few limitations of Target Drive Up, and you can’t do the following when using the drive up service:
- No bulky or heavy items like big pieces of furniture
- No hazardous materials
- Use Target.com to shop for Drive Up – you can only use the app
- No manufacturer’s coupons can be used
Tips on Saving with Target Drive Up
Wait, if the service is free, why do I need to save? Well, isn’t it great if we can have our cake and eat it, too? You can save money with these tips, which can be used for your next…well…Target Drive Up order.
- Look for Coupons and Deals when you Shop – Don’t forget to look for deals and coupons when you’re shopping for your Target Drive Up items.
- Use Target Circle Rewards – The rewards you’ve come to love with Target Circle can be used on your Drive Up order, too!
- Use a Rebate App after your purchase – using Ibotta or Fetch Rewards after your purchase can put more money in your pocket.
- Shop with your RedCard – The Target RedCard still provides the benefits of shopping with Drive Up as it does with shopping in person!
- See if you can find a Price Adjustment after your purchase – For up to 14 days after your purchase, Target will recognize competitor pricing, and even pricing found cheaper at Target.com or in the store.
More saving tips? Check this article – Shopping at Target Just Got Cheaper with These 11 Money-Saving Tips
6 Ways to Get the Most out of Target Drive Up
There are actually some tips and tricks that can help you get the most out of using Target Drive Up!
Add a Shopping Partner for your Order
Did you know you can add a shopping partner and have someone else to pick up your order? When checking out, you can edit the Pickup Person. As long as they have the app, they can pick up the order for you. How sweet is that!
Pick it Up No Later than the Next Day
The good news is, if something comes up and you can’t make it to Target on the same day, they will hold your order. Keep in mind, if your order has perishable groceries, they will only hold it for one day.
If your order doesn’t have groceries, they will hold it for 3 days before canceling your order and issuing a refund.
Extend your Order Time
If you have a non-grocery order, you may have the option to extend your order for an additional three days. I would suggest only using this in urgent situations. To extend your order time, navigate to the Order details page and extend it before the end of your initial pickup window.
Be Mindful of Rush Hour
If you can place your order in non-peak shopping hours, such as mid-morning on a weekday, you may find you can get your order faster. Be mindful that by placing your order later in the day, you may find yourself competing with other orders for after-work pickups.
They will also be busier on weekends, but we all understand wanting to miss out on the Saturday shopping crowds!
Allow for Proper Trunk Space
Before you head out to the store, make sure you have enough room in your vehicle for the associate to load your things properly. If you pop the trunk and it’s filled to the brim with a baby stroller, you’ll have to get out and help.
Make it easier on both yourself and the associate by ensuring a clean space is cleared away for them to load your car so you can both be on your way!
Don’t Forget to Say You’re On Your Way
Showing up to the store to announce you’re there without giving the heads up makes it a bit tough for the associate delivering to your car. Letting them know you’re on your way via the app helps them to get ready and the process can run much more smoothly.
FAQs for Target Drive Up
How long does Target Drive Up Take?
Target Drive Up times can vary. Some orders can be ready in a few minutes, but others have to wait 2-4 hours. It depends on the store staffing and how busy they are, but it helps to shop in off-peak hours if you can.
What time does Target Drive Up Close?
You usually cannot place a Target Drive Up order within two hours of store closing. Check your local store hours and make sure you plan accordingly.
Can I use a Promo Code for Target Drive Up?
Target does offer promo codes occasionally for Drive Up orders. These will be in the Target deals section of your app. You can also use other discounts and coupons within the app to save money.
Is Target Drive Up Free?
Yes! Target Drive Up is Free! And, there is no minimum purchase required.
Can I change my order?
Once your order has been placed, you can still make changes via the app by changing it to a store pickup instead.
Try Target Drive Up Today
You may find this service is just what you need in your life and it only takes a few minutes to make it happen! Shop for your items like you normally would, and just make sure you’ve selected Drive Up as your pick-up option.
It’s fast and easy and can get you out and on with your life! Since you like things to keep your life simple, check out these 8 Grocery Stores with the Same Day Delivery!