If walking into a Walmart isn’t on your list of priorities right now, but you need groceries or household items from Walmart, you’re in luck. Walmart offers free pickup for most items in their store, making it easy to get in and out without stepping foot in the store.
The Walmart Pickup program has improved vastly since the pandemic started. It began as a grocery pickup program only but quickly transformed into a program that worked with most products to keep everyone safe.
Here’s what you must know about Walmart Pickup.
What is Walmart Pickup?
Since the pandemic started, curbside pickup became the way of life for many people and Walmart was on board. While they already had a curbside pickup for groceries available, they quickly implemented a curbside pickup option for thousands of items throughout the store, making it easier and safer for anyone to shop.
You can set up a Walmart Pickup to be curbside, or for items other than groceries, you may also be able to go into the store to pick up your pre-packed items, but not groceries.
Walmart Pickup isn’t In-store Pickup
It’s important to understand the difference and it can be confusing at different Walmart stores. Walmart Pickup refers to curbside pickup. You don’t get out of your car. You sit in a spot and pop your trunk when the associate arrives with your items. You confirm you received the order and then drive away with your items.
In-store pickup means you park your car and go into the store. You see a store associate or use the store’s pickup system to get your order. You usually need your confirmation email with a barcode and your ID to pick up the order.
How Does Walmart Pickup Work?
You can place your Walmart order online or in the Walmart app.
Ordering Walmart Curbside Pickup Online
The Walmart website is the easiest way to order your Walmart products because they differentiate between grocery and non-grocery items.
To order online use these steps:
- Log into or create a Walmart account
- Enter your zip code to choose your store, not all stores offer curbside pickup (non-grocery) so check for availability
- For grocery orders, choose your time slot, they are listed in one hour increments
- Add your items to the cart
If you purchase non-grocery items, you’ll find out the earliest you can pick up the item when you checkout. It’s usually 4 hours, but you’ll receive an email or text when the order is ready for pickup.
If you order non-grocery and grocery items together, you’ll pick them up at the same time, which is whenever there is a grocery slot available.
Grocery slots are harder to get because shoppers have to shop an entire list of groceries versus picking up one or two household items. They also have to keep the cold groceries cold and separate them from the non-frozen or refrigerated products.
Ordering Walmart Curbside Pickup on the App
You’ll use the same technique to order Walmart Curbside products on the app. The difference is they don’t differentiate between grocery and non-grocery items. Pay attention to the time slot when the products will be ready since grocery and non-grocery items may have different times. If you’re ordering groceries, your items will all be ready at the same time.
Are all Products at Walmart Eligible for Curbside Pickup?
Each Walmart store is different. When you’re ready to shop, make sure you select your local Walmart store to see which products you can pick up curbside. Some stores require you to come into the store and use the in-store pickup.
Each store is different, but it could be a kiosk that you scan your barcode on from your email and they bring the product out to you or you must see a customer service representative.
How do you Pick up your Walmart Order?
If you’re eligible for curbside pickup, it’s easy to get your Walmart order. It’s best if you have the Walmart app, though.
On the app, check in to let them know you are on your way. This allows the store associates to start packing your order so when you arrive they can bring it out to you immediately.
Once you arrive at the store, click ‘I’m here’ and enter the parking spot number you are in. Wait patiently for your item to arrive. If you’re doing a grocery pickup, it could take a few minutes to come out to you, especially if you picked a popular pick-up time.
If you don’t have the Walmart app, park in a spot and call the number on the sign with the parking spot number on it to let them know you’ve arrived.
Does Walmart Deliver?
If you don’t want to head over to your local Walmart but need your products right away, thousands of their products are available for delivery, including grocery. Unlike a curbside pickup, though, the service is only free if you spend over $35.
If your order is less than $35, there is a delivery charge of $5.99. Of course, you can always have non-food items shipped too.
Tips to Get the Most out of Walmart Pickup
- Download the Walmart app for easy check-in. It can be difficult to get someone on the phone if you call the number on the parking spot. If you are picking up during a busy time, no one may answer the phone, which makes it hard to let them know you’ve arrived.
- Check whether substitutions are okay or not. Like everything else during the pandemic, inventory levels are uncertain especially if you place an order today but set a pickup time for a day or two from now. If you don’t want an item substituted, mark ‘no substitutions’ on the order for applicable items.
- Try to place your order at least a day before you need it. At the start of the pandemic, shoppers waited a week or longer for an eligible spot. Walmart has since increased their availability, but it’s common for the day to fill up by 8 AM each day.
- Pick up orders within four days. Walmart only holds non-grocery items for four days after your pickup date. If you miss the date and don’t go for four days, they will refund your money and cancel the order.
- If you want someone else to pick up your order, especially in-store, you must put their name on the order. They will check IDs when you pick up the product, so make sure you designate who will pick it up.
- If you buy the same things weekly, Walmart saves your previous orders. All you have to do is click ‘reorder’ and your shopping is done.
- You can alter your order for a few hours after placing it. Pay close attention to the time they’ll accept changes until in case you change your mind.
- Always check for Walmart coupons before shopping. You can combine coupons with curbside pickup for any order.
FAQs – Walmart Pickup
Is Walmart Pickup available at all stores?
Walmart Grocery Pickup isn’t available at every store. Click here to find out if it’s available in your area or if it’s coming soon.
Does Walmart have a minimum order size for Walmart Pickup?
Most locations don’t require you to spend a certain amount for free Walmart Pickup, but it can vary by location. Check with your location, as some enforce a $35 minimum or they charge $5.99 for the service.
How do I pay for my Walmart Pickup order?
Just like any online order, you pay for your Walmart Pickup order using a credit or debit card. You can store a credit card in your Walmart account or enter the number each time you shop there.
Can you tip for Walmart Curbside Pickup?
Walmart associates are not able to accept tips for curbside pickup. The associates are paid hourly and get in trouble if they accept tips. The service is something Walmart stores offer to keep the community safe.
You can, however, tip your Walmart delivery driver if you have your Walmart products delivered to your home. Tipping is optional, though.
Final Thoughts – Walmart Pickup, Is It Worth It?
If you shop at Walmart and don’t have the time or don’t want to go into a store, Walmart Pickup is great.
The downside is how fast the grocery slots fill up, especially on the weekends. Walmart only allows a certain number of pickups per hour and once they are filled, the spots are gone. You could log on and find that you can’t get groceries picked up for 3+ days sometimes.
If you plan ahead, though, picking up your items curbside is the best thing Walmart started. You can get the low Walmart prices but don’t have to fight the crowds or risk your health going into the store if it’s not an option for you.