Even though it’s just a form of payment, there’s something exciting about having a gift card in your wallet. In fact, it can be difficult to decide whether to buy something you need or something fun for yourself!
One of my favorite gift cards is to Walmart. I can use it on just about anything, including necessities for day-to-day life or something nice just for me. But, with any gift card, it’s important to know how to check your balance.
Whether you have the card stored online or in your wallet, there are a few different ways to check your balance so you don’t risk checking out without enough on the card! This article goes into how to buy a Walmart gift card, as well as check the balance.
Why You Should Pay with a Walmart Gift Card
When it comes to gift cards, Walmart is a great one to have. There are a few pros of shopping with a Walmart gift card.
- Walmart has many great ways to save compared to its competitors. You’ll likely find your item cheaper at Walmart than at other similar big box stores.
- Walmart allows for price matching with those competitors, too. If you find it cheaper somewhere else, they’ll likely honor that price.
- Walmart Gift Cards never expire! That’s right – If you forget about it in the back of your wallet, you can still use it a year and a half later.
Walmart is a great place to save a few bucks on your purchases, and you don’t get dinged if you forget about your gift card – how great is that! Let’s take a look at how to get a Walmart gift card!
How to Get a Walmart Gift Card
Believe it or not, there are a few different ways to get a Walmart Gift Card.
- Shop and Survey with Swagbucks – Did you know you could take surveys and shop using a site like Swagbucks and redeem points for a Walmart Gift Card? Even when you sign up, you get a few points. In just a few hours, you could have enough for a $50 card!
- Sell your Electronics to Walmart – Walmart is looking to buy your used tablets, cell phones, or gaming consoles. You can send in your used electronics and receive a Walmart gift card in return! Less clutter for you, and you can use that money towards a newer one!
- Buy from Sam’s Club or Walmart – You can buy them in person at Walmart or Sam’s Club, and can also buy them from Walmart.com.
- Purchase from Gift Card Granny – GiftCardGranny.com gives you money back towards another gift card when you purchase a Walmart gift card through them. If you’re gonna spend money on a gift card, you might as well stretch that money a wee bit further!
Now that you know how to buy a card, let’s look at how to check your Walmart gift card balance. The good news for you is there are a few ways to do this and they’re all easy!
How to Check your Walmart Gift Card Balance Online
Whether you have an e-gift card that you’ve received via email or a physical gift card someone gave you, you can still check your balance online.
- Navigate to the Check Gift Card Balance page at Walmart.com.
- Enter your 16-digit card number and PIN. The PIN is located on the back of the physical card, or in the email, you’ve received with your e-gift card.
- Select the Check Balance button.
That’s pretty easy, right? But if you can’t check online, there are other ways like on the phone and in person.
How to Check your Walmart Gift Card Balance at Walmart
If you have a physical card, you can take it to your local Walmart and have it checked in person.
- Locate your nearest Walmart by using the Walmart Stores Finder or the Walmart Store Directory.
- See a cashier at checkout or walk over to the Customer Service center in the store and present your gift card for them to scan.
Once they scan it, they can tell you the estimated balance that remains!
How to Check your Walmart Gift Card Balance on the Phone
If you would prefer to use your phone, you can call Walmart to check your balance, as well.
- Ensure the silver backing of your card is scratched off to reveal your 16-digit card number.
- Call 1-888-537-5503 and listen carefully to instructions.
- Choose the correct extension to find out your Gift Card Balance.
- Enter your 16-digit card number and PIN from the back of the card.
- Your card balance will be revealed.
Now that you know your gift card balance, let’s look at a few things to keep in mind with your Walmart gift card.
What to Know About your Walmart Gift Card
There are a few things to keep in mind before you use your Walmart gift card.
- Minimum Purchase Amount. As with most gift cards, there is a minimum purchase amount of $5 for your gift card. This means if you’re buying a gift for someone, plan on spending at least $5 per card.
- Lost or Stolen Cards are Not Replaced. As sad as it is if you realize you’ve lost your card or it’s been stolen, Walmart cannot replace your card. Make sure you keep it in a safe place!
- No Expiration. Walmart gift cards do not expire! Great news for those that you found in the bottom of your purse or car console! Check that balance and spend it wisely!
- The amount Given is an Estimate. Keep in mind the amount that you’ve been told is the balance of your card is an estimate and your updated card balance may be delayed if a purchase was recently made.
- Saving your Walmart information doesn’t limit use to online only. There are instances where you may want to save the card information online, but the good news is that you can still use that card physically in the store and aren’t limited to online purchases only.
There are some restrictions to keep in mind when using Walmart Gift Cards, as well.
Restrictions around Walmart Gift Cards
There may be times when you cannot use a Walmart gift card or the card does not work as expected.
You Cannot Use your Gift Card to Buy Other Walmart Gift Cards
Walmart wants to make sure they bring in as much money each quarter as possible. This means you cannot use a gift card to buy other gift cards. Ensuring a gift card balance can’t be used to purchase other gift cards helps record their earnings more accurately.
You Cannot Reload your Gift Card
Once the balance is used on your Walmart gift card, it cannot be reloaded again. While this works for some stores, Walmart prefers you purchase a new gift card each time an amount has been used up.
Only 5 Gift Cards are Allowed to be Saved in your Account
While you can combine both e-gift cards and plastic gift cards on your online account, you cannot have more than 5 open cards on your account.
Certain Items Cannot be Purchased with a Walmart Gift Card
There are limits to what can be purchased by a gift card at Walmart. Keep in mind, that you may not be able to purchase the following:
- Lottery Tickets
No Returns and No Refunds
Once gift cards have been purchased from Walmart, they cannot be refunded or returned. You may be able to re-gift it to someone else or sell it on a third-party site like Gift Card Granny. But, I’m sure you can always find something to buy at Walmart!
Now that you know the important things to keep in mind when using Walmart Gift Cards, let’s take a look at ways to get Walmart Gift Cards on the cheap!
How to Save Money on Walmart Gift Cards
There are plenty of ways to save money on your Walmart Gift Card. Yep, you read that correctly. You can actually get Walmart Gift Cards for free or at a discount. Read on to save more!
- Use Cashback from Ibotta for a Walmart Gift Card. Ibotta is a really cool cashback app and they have a really cool partnership with Walmart. It’s as easy as linking your accounts and going shopping as you normally would. After you upload your receipt, you get your rewards.
- Shop with Fetch to get a Walmart Gift Card. Like Ibotta, Fetch is a points-based rewards app that encourages you to upload your receipts for rewards. Do you see where I’m going with this? Shop, collect points, and cash them in for a Walmart Gift Card.
- Take Surveys at Swagbucks for a Walmart Gift Card. I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I really love Swagbucks! A few minutes here and there can get you gift cards to stores you love, like Walmart. That’s pretty awesome, right?!
- Use a Credit Card with Rewards to Purchase your Walmart Gift Card. You probably have a credit card that offers cash back on purchases. Using this card online to purchase e-gift cards or in-store to buy plastic cards is a great way to get money back on your purchase.
Saving money on gift cards for a store that saves you money? That sounds like a win-win in my book!
FAQs on How to Check a Walmart Gift Card Balance
How do I check my Walmart Gift Card Balance?
When it comes to checking your Walmart Gift Card balance, you can do so over the phone, online, or at a store. Make sure you have your 16-digits ready as well as your PIN.
Can I Buy a Walmart Gift Card Online?
Absolutely! Simply going to Walmart.com and searching for Gift Cards will take you to a large selection of gift cards for any occasion. You can purchase both e-gift cards and plastic gift cards online.
How do I Check a Walmart Gift Card without a PIN?
If you do not have your PIN on the card, you can take it to a Walmart Store and speak to Customer Service on the premises. They can transfer your balance to a gift card with a PIN.
Can I buy anything with a Walmart Gift Card?
There are limitations to what you can purchase with a gift card. You cannot purchase other Walmart Gift Cards, nor can you purchase items like firearms, tobacco, or cigarettes.
Checking Your Walmart Gift Card Balance
When you have your gift card, checking the balance can be easy, and it’s nice to have so many methods. Checking the balance of either your plastic or e-gift card goes smoothly when using the online method.
If that’s not your preferred method, the phone menu is easy to use if you prefer to call the 1-888 number.
Don’t forget that a cashier is always happy to help in person at your local Walmart. And while you’re there, save more money by using a coupon!